Updated Apr. 3, 2020, 4 p.m.
In these unprecedented times, it goes without saying that our primary concern is the health, safety and wellness of all those in our community. If you are aware of someone in our UUCF community who is in need, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We continue to support our congregation by balancing the needs for connection, meaning and available bandwidth. We will continue to communicate spiritual, communal and programmatic activities as they are available. Please join together on Sundays at 10 a.m. for shared worship.
We also want to be transparent about where the congregation stands financially. As a result of this crisis, UUCF’s regular income is down significantly due to the loss of rentals and a decrease in pledge payments that are given in the collection plate each Sunday. Expenses continue, however, for payroll, utilities and similar items, despite working to decrease some non-essential costs.
In response to this unprecedented situation, we are taking a series of steps to mitigate the impact on our community while simultaneously being mindful of the financial difficulties people are facing because of the pandemic:
- We will not kick off the Open Enrollment annual giving pledge campaign at this time. We anticipate providing additional information in the coming weeks about how and when we will begin our pledge campaign for 2020-21.
- We will apply for a loan – available to churches as part of the recently enacted CARES Act – to allow us to continue to pay our wonderful staff and avoid furloughs. Per the terms of the legislation, the loan will be forgiven if we maintain our current staffing level. While it will be several weeks until we are able to secure this much-needed assistance, we are optimistic this will help us cover a significant portion of our expenses through June.
- Because of the continued uncertainty, we ask that you please – as you are able – continue your current automatic/online pledges. These pledges remain an important source of income for UUCF.
- For those in the UUCF community who have more secure and abundant financial resources, and who are also feeling secure at the moment in their personal health and financial situations, please consider the following:
- Fulfill the remainder of your 2019-20 pledges now.
- Increase your 2019-20 pledge payments to support fellow congregants who cannot pledge at this time.
- In addition, send a special, one-time gift to the Minister’s Discretionary Fund to support those in the UUCF community who need it most.
- You can make these contributions by texting “uufairfax” to 73256 or by donating directly through UUCF’s Realm member database. If you need help logging in to Realm, please contact Mary Foster.
Please know that we are all working to understand how to handle this crisis to support UUCF and the community to the best of our abilities. We will come through this by supporting each other – each one of the precious lives that make up UUCF.
UUCF Board of Directors
Rev. David A. Miller, Senior Minister
Rev. Alice King, Acting Pastoral Minister
UUCF Coordinating Team