The UUCF Endowment Fund, made up of monies primarily collected from the wills and trusts of departed congregants, friends and supporters, annually disburses a portion of its proceeds to seed focused campaigns for systematic change or capital improvement projects that represent the Seven Principles of Unitarian Universalism, with an emphasis on those efforts that will lead to long-term positive influence at UUCF or in the larger community.
UUCF committees, members, staff and friends, as defined by the UUCF Bylaws, are eligible to submit grant requests. Youth applicants must apply through the Director of Religious Exploration, email@example.com.
Priority if given to the requests that best reflect UUCF’s Strategic Goals and Strategies:
- Work with local UU congregations to identify innovative ways to share and leverage resources for the purpose of growing Unitarian Universalism in depth, size and impact.
- Develop a project that demonstrates and practices UU values in new ways beyond our campus.
- Intentionally grow our cultural competency in ways that challenge our comfort, expand our awareness, and promote social and spiritual healing.
- Strengthen, streamline and evaluate our focus on mission to grow, connect and serve.
Repeat requests are not discouraged, but priority will be given to new requests. The Endowment Fund does not serve as a sustaining funder.
The EFC will annually complete a calculation to determine the total funding that may be disbursed from the Endowment Fund during the operating year. The formula used will preserve the principal that has been donated to the Endowment Fund, adjust for inflation and average out grants so that there is consistent funding from year to year. Administrative expenses, including support for recognition of donations to the Endowment Fund, will be part of this total disbursement. The maximum grant is determind by the amount of funding available and the number of grant requests.
Calendar of actions
The grant request process takes place each September and October. To ensure that successful grant applicants can properly use their grants during the ensuing calendar year, the EFC announces grant recipients each November.
|Sep. 10, 2017||Start of Endowment Fund grant request process.|
|Oct. 17, 2017||Completed grant requests due to the EFC.
|Oct. 18, 2017||EFC begins evaulation of grant proposals.|
|First UUCF board meeting in November||EFC presents recommendations to UUCF board.|
|Nov. 19, 2017||EFC announces selection of grant recipients to congregation.|
|Nov. 20, 2017||Grants monies given to selected projects.|
|Apr. 30, 2018||Grant recipients provide summary report to EFC.|
All grant requests must be received by the UUCF office or Steve Gold by Oct. 17, 2017. The committee will not consider grant requests received after the due date. The committee will review all grant requests and transmit its recommendations to the board via the treasurer. The EFC chair will attend the board’s first meeting in November to provide information on the rationale for the committee’s recommendations. The EFC will notify all grant requesters regarding whether or not they will receive a grant.
Requests to support the following will not be considered:
- Individual needs such as tuition, food or medical care
- Government institutions
- Organizations outside of the Washington, DC, metro area
- UUCF Annual Operating Fund (except as an interest paying loan)
- Organizations that wish to re-grant the funds
- Medical or scientific research
- Films or publications (except as they are an integral part of a collective action for social change)
Grant recipients are required to provide a short report to the EFC by Apr. 30, 2018 detailing the success of the grant and the expenditure of funds, thus allowing the committee to report to the congregation on the impact of the funding. The report may show that the use of the grant is a work in progress. In addition, the EFC may request that the point of contact for the grant speak at its annual recognition event to encourage further participation in the UUCF Endowment Fund.
How to apply
To submit a proposal, please complete this form.