- What is QUUilt?
- How to connect with QUUilt
- QUUilt this month
- QUUilt classes
- QUUilt volunteer opportunities
In these times of isolation, stress and uncertainty, meaningful connection can recenter and re-engergize us. QUUilt, UUCF’s new take on RE, aims to emphasize Connection over Content by engaging children, families and adults in religious community through fun and fellowship.
QUUilt is a fresh approach to Religious Exploration for these extraordinary times.
QUUilt goes beyond a traditional framework of Religious Education for children by embracing lifelong learning at UUCF and supporting parents, children, youth, adult learners, teachers and volunteers in a connected community.
Sunday morning classes and high school and middle school group activities will continue (virtually), of course. But these “patches” of content are now joined with other new opportunities for connection.
New QUUilt Opportunities for Connection
- Family story time
- Parent conversation groups
- A middle school book club
- Online game nights for 4th-6th graders
- Staff-supported RE at Home.
Possible other new patches include Adult Program classes and small groups geared for parents and young adults and collaboration on activities with other UU congregations like Cedar Lane and River Road, and engaging in justice work at UUCF.
Information on opportunities for connection are shown below and will be shared in the weekly QUUilt Community UUpdate, along with links to register children for online RE classes and to sign up for activities. If you’ve been receiving weekly RE UUpdates, you are all set. If not, sign up here. For questions about QUUilt, contact Director of Religious Exploration Diana Tycer. For middle or high school programs, please contact Courtney Firth.
Come wrap yourself in the warmth of community. Get involved in QUUilt!
- Host a family story time session
- Join a parent conversation group
- Register your child for an RE class
- Be a parent helper in an RE class
- Do RE at Home with your children
- Join Family CartUUns night on Fridays
- Volunteer as a chaperone for an online MS or HS event
- Take an Adult Programs class
- Encourage your youth to attend MS and HS events
- Engage in justice work at UUCF as a family unit
February Message from the Director of Religious Exploration
Greetings everyone! I hope last weekend’s snow left you with more than shoveling chores. I hope you had some time to appreciate the beauty of snow-covered trees, the wonder of mysterious animal tracks in the snow and the opportunity to play with childlike abandon, for a little while at least.
The Soul Matters worship theme for February is Beloved Community, and we’ll be reflecting deeply on all aspects of this theme in worship services, covenant groups and RE classes. This month’s Together Time Stories include “Rosa” (about Rosa Parks), “Maybe Something Beautiful” (about the community-made murals in San Diego), “Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed” and “Thank You, Omu!” If you miss Sunday morning worship (or the re-broadcasts Sunday and Tuesday nights) and have young children, please consider getting these books from the library to share with them. It’s an easy way to foster UU values and launch conversations about kindness, sharing and fairness.
In concert with the Beloved Community theme and our Valentine’s Day Food Drive, UUCF has deemed Feb. 12-19, Let Your Love Flow Week. It begins with the annual Healing Service on Friday night, Feb. 12, includes the Sunday Food Drive on Feb. 14 (moved to Feb. 21 because of weather) and ends with the virtual Love Cabaret on Feb. 19. Details about these events are provided at uucf.org/happening.
As most of you already know, our new Assistant Minister Rev. Christin Green joined the staff in January. Among her duties, Rev. Green will be responsible for the Pastoral Care program. If you have any pastoral concerns, please reach out to her. She is gentle and kind and we are blessed to have her on staff. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Fri. Mar 5 at 4:00 PM||4th-6th Grade Online Gaming Group|
|Fri. Mar 5 at 7:00 PM||Middle School Youth Group|
|Sat. Mar 6 at 12:00 PM||Peer Pastoral Care Training Series for Grades 7-9|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 9:00 AM||Chapel & Soul Matters (Kindergarten/Grade 1)|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 9:00 AM||Harry and UU (Grades 4 & 5)|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 9:00 AM||Hello Friends (Ages 2-5)|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 11:00 AM||Crossing Paths (Grades 7 & 8)|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 11:00 AM||Inclusive VA History (Grade 6)|
|Sun. Mar 7 at 11:00 AM||Soul Matters (Grades 2 & 3)|
|Wed. Mar 10 at 8:00 PM||Potomac Partnership Youth Game Night|
|Thu. Mar 11 at 7:00 PM||Ideas Forum|
|Sun. Mar 14 at 11:15 AM||High School Group|
This Month in RE
In February, the High School class will continue working on the HS worship service centered on the theme of Commitment. The Middle School students will wrap up their study of Islam and begin their study of Hinduism. The 6th Grade class will continue the VA Inclusive History curriculum. The 4th & 5th grade class will discuss racism and privilege. Grades 2 & 3 and K & 1 will explore the monthly worship theme, making valentines this Sunday and learning about African American leaders, like John Lewis, later this month. Preschool children will continue to develop friendships with their songs, stories and online play. Children and youth are welcome to drop into an RE class even if they didn’t register for one last fall. Contact Director of Religious Exploration Diana Tycer for the Zoom links.
Families new to UUCF – enroll your children in RE classes here.
February 2021 RE Class Schedule
Sundays, Feb. 7 & 21
- 9 a.m. – Hello Friends (ages 2-5)
- 9 a.m. – Chapel & Soul Matters (Kindergarten/Grade 1)
- 9 a.m. – Harry and UU (Grades 4 & 5)
- 10 a.m. – Worship Service
- 11 a.m. – Soul Matters (Grades 2 & 3)
- 11 a.m. – Inclusive VA History (Grade 6)
- 11 a.m. – Crossing Paths (Grades 7 & 8)
Sundays, Feb. 14 & 28
- 9 a.m. – Children’s Chapel
- 10 a.m. – Worship Service
- 11:15 a.m. – High School Youth Group
February QUUILT Calendar Reminders for Ongoing Groups
- Parent Conversation Group #1 meets Mondays, Feb. 3 & 17, Mar. 3 at 7 p.m.
- Parent Conversation Group # 2 meets Wednesdays, Feb. 8 & 22 at 7 p.m.
- 4th-6th Grade Gamers meet Fridays, Feb. 5 & 19, 4-5 p.m.
- MS Youth Group meets Fri., Feb. 5, 7-9 p.m.
- HS Youth Group meets Fri., Feb. 19, 7-9 p.m.
- Youth/Adult Committee meets Tue., Feb. 16, 7-8:30 p.m.
- MS Book Group meets Tue., Feb. 23, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
For information about these ongoing groups, please contact Diana Tycer.