Apply online here.
PICO National Network is partnering with Sanctuary DMV to build a multifaith, multiracial network of religious institutions that are providing sanctuary and support to families facing deportation, as well as Muslims and people of color who are facing profiling, hate and discrimination.
There are many ways that congregations can provide sanctuary and support, including but not limited to hosting families at risk, holding defend-your-rights trainings, accompanying people to ICE check-ins and other hearings, and building out rapid response networks. Congregations in the network will also work with local immigrant rights organizations to press for local and state policies that get ICE out of schools, courts and jails and end the use of local police and criminal justice system resources to terrorize communities and break up families.
Our goal is to recruit and engage 100 or more congregations in this effort, which has attracted hundreds of people to meetings since it was started in January 2017.
PICO National Network is the largest grassroots faith organizing network in the country. Through PICO tens of thousands of people across the United States are putting their faith into action to change the world. We are working to create a society in which everyone belongs and can thrive and where racial discrimination and false ideas about a hierarchy of human value are eliminated.
Sanctuary DMV is a vibrant grassroots volunteer-led solidarity effort dedicated to protecting immigrants and targeted communities in DC, Maryland and Virginia.
The lead organizer must be fundamentally committed to working with and supporting volunteers.
Job responsibilities include:
- Reaching out directly and working with volunteers to reach out to congregations in the region to invite them to join the Sanctuary Network. Our goal is that every congregation in the region have an opportunity to say yes to this opportunity to put their faith in action!
- Meeting with clergy and lay leaders and preparing volunteers to meet with clergy and lay leaders to help them make a decision on whether to join the network and what activities they are able to undertake.
- Checking in with and coaching volunteers who are coordinating 8-10 local sanctuary networks.
- Making public presentations on defend your rights, rapid response and sanctuary to groups of people from congregations.
- Working with PICO’s immigration policy director and volunteer lawyers to connect congregations to people who need hosting and accompaniment.
- Connecting congregations to local organizing by immigrant rights organizations to advance municipal policies, including preparing people for meetings with their local elected officials
- Managing and growing the network’s email list and writing and sending clearly written emails.
- Coordinating with PICO’s communications team to generate media coverage.
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, inspire and coach community members across difference, including religion, race, gender, age, language and class.
- Good public speaking and training skills.
- Capacity to think strategically and analytically about social, economic, cultural and political issues affecting a community, especially race and class analysis.
- Desire to learn and openness to challenge.
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to identify and partner with immigrant rights and legal organizations.
- Commitment to bottom-up organizing, grassroots leadership and collective decision-making.
- Clear personal and political commitment to social justice, immigrant rights and ending policies of mass incarceration..
- Must be flexible and willing to work nontraditional hours (some nights and weekends) in a demanding and rapidly changing work environment, including attending Saturday afternoon meetings of Sanctuary DMV.
- Must have a driver’s license (this job requires driving; mileage reimbursed).
- Must be English-Spanish fluent bilingual.
- Ideally, 2-5 years organizing experience
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary $50-65k depending on experience. Full medical and dental benefits, life insurance, retirement contributions and extensive training included.