UUCF joined the DMV Sanctuary Congregation Network in April 2017, a network of faith communities in the DMV committed to resisting policies and practices unfairly target marginalized communities and that racially profile, criminalize, detain and deport immigrants in our community.
UUCF’s Committee for Immigration Justice was formed to research and make recommendations about UUCF’s level of involvement as a Sanctuary congregation.
Possible levels of involvement for the congregation include but are not limited to:
- Accompanying people to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) check-ins and legal hearings.
- Holding Deportation Defense campaigns for individuals/families threatened by detention and/or deporation.
- Holding Know Your Rights trainings.
- Advocating for local, city, and state government officials to get ICE out of schools, jails and courts, and end all policies that racially profile and over-incarcerate people of color.
- Congregational hosting for individuals/families at-risk of deportation and/or supporting those doing so.