The horrors unfolding today in Ukraine leave us feeling powerless to make a difference in the lives of those affected. One way we can act in solidarity with the people of Ukraine is to provide support to agencies working to alleviate the suffering of hundred of thousands of refugees.
This page will help lift up the efforts of international nonprofits collecting funds to make a difference for those fleeing their homes. Below the list of nonprofits are local efforts to support Ukrainian refugees.
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee’s (UUSC) Emergency Response Fund enables UUSC to respond to unexpected crises and provide resources to communities with urgent needs and limited access to aid. UUSC has developed strong relationships with refugee rights organizations across Eastern Europe. One partner, the Hungarian Helsinki Committee, is already providing free legal assistance, counseling and representation so that Ukrainian asylum seekers receive immediate temporary protection.
- GlobalGiving supports nonprofits around the world through crowdfunding. Its Ukraine crisis relief fund is working toward a goal of $7 million to provide food, water, shelter and other assistance to refugees.
- Direct Relief is working to fulfill a list of medical needs provided to the organization by Ukraine’s health ministry.
- Care, a 75-year-old organization operating in 100 countries, is working to provide food, water and hygiene kits to those suffering in Ukraine.
- Doctors Without Borders, a 50-year-old Nobel-winning organization, has teams in Ukraine as well as surrounding countries as it works to send staff and medical supplies to the hardest-hit areas.
- Save the Children, a century-old organization that has worked in 100 countries, has a Ukraine crisis relief fund aimed at furnishing children and families with food, hygiene kits, funding and more.
- The International Rescue Committee has teams working in Poland aiding displaced families. The organization, founded in 1933, operates in 40 countries and donations go to food, medical treatment and other emergency care in Ukraine, Afghanistan, Syria and elsewhere.
Local Support Efforts
Please click on the headings for detailed information and links.