Honoring the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sign up information coming soon.
Weekend of Service 2017 was a great success thanks to our three organizers – Martha Ades, Wini Atlas and Mary Frances Kordick – and 283 volunteers of all ages. In all, 734 person hours were donated over the 3 days. Here’s the rundown on all the projects. See below for photos.
- Packaged 2,350 lbs. of oats and 1,296 lbs. of apples for the Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC).
- Made 20 adult fleece blankets for UUCF’s Hypothermia Shelter guests and 15 kids blankets for Children’s Hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care unit.
- Made 152 hygiene kits and 116 snack kits for OAR’s (Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources) post-release clients.
- Ten people spent 2 hours each making cards for foster kids.
- Twenty-two adults and kids moved mulch, removed invasive plants and gathered creative ideas for UUCF campus improvement.
- UUs for Social Justice (UUSJ) trained 12 people in best practices for advocacy visits to legislators.
- Sixteen people went on our bus to Richmond for Anti-Gun-Violence Day and made 60 visits with legislators and senators.
- Thirty-five members of the UUCF Chorale performed at the Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute.