UUCF volunteers have formed an organizing team to lead UUCF in its efforts to get out the vote, encourage voter registration and help to end voter suppression. The team is Susan Bennett, Betsy Bicknell, Kaye Cook, David Heagy, Sharon Johnson, Marcia Tugendhat and Karen Wolf, with assistance from Director of Communications Mary Lareau, and Social Justice Coordinator Andrew Batcher. The team is continuing its work even as the UUCF community is practicing physical distancing.
There are four main ways congregants can participate at this time:
- Sign up with Vote Forward as an individual. Vote Forward is doing get-out-the-vote letter-writing campaigns in swing states throughout the country. You can do this from home while you are self-isolating! The directions are online and easy to follow. UUCF is also organizing a letter-writing party via Zoom to help congregants connect while doing something good! Stay tuned for details.
- Volunteer with Reclaim Our Vote, a non-partisan phone banking, post-carding campaign organized by the Center for Common Ground. The campaign focuses on contacting voters of color in voter-suppression states to help them register and vote. It provides online training for the calling, and postcard writing can be done from your home.
- The UUCF UU the Vote team is communicating with the League of Women Voters Fairfax and will let you know when they resume in-person voter registration in Fairfax County. In the meantime the team is working with the LWV to organize online training for UUCF people who want to be authorized to do voter registration when it resumes. Stay tuned for details.
- Sign up to receive information from UU the Vote.
- Volunteer with the UUCF organizing team. Contact Susan Bennett.