ARTspeaks is a new art space on the campus of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fairfax (UUCF), 2709 Hunter Mill Rd. All local artists are welcome to participate.
For instructions on how to submit art, click here.
- Expand the number of artistic voices contributing to thematic art on campus.
- Support local artists and various local artistic communities.
- Create conversation among artistic organizations in the area.
- Provide a neutral space for discussion of complex themes.
Art speaks. Through an artist, art offers a story. ARTspeaks is looking for art that contributes to a collective story. Through medium, subject, intensity of the piece or its relationship to other artwork, ARTspeaks is looking for work that insists on consideration, emotion or response. ARTspeaks encourages work from local artists based on a monthly theme. These artists may come from anywhere: Arts societies, photography groups, children’s programs, YOU! Though there are planned installations where artists may contribute individually, ARTspeaks also partners with community service organizations that have art programs. ARTspeaks is a space without ideology, a neutral landscape where people with different views can meet to find common ground. The aim of the art is to assist in discovery of underlying issues that we all encounter in our lives – in a shared space where we can feel safe to process together
- We can show 25-50 pieces depending on size.
- The space is open Sundays, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and Thursdays, 6-9 p.m.
- In addition, the main UUCF Sanctuary building is open weekdays 9 a.m.-4 p.m. During those hours, ARTspeaks is open, but not monitored.
- There is consistent traffic to the space every day and evening by the congregation, the home-schooling program on Wednesdays and meetings held with external groups.
- Starting in September we will hold a monthly public reception for ARTspeaks.
- Our standard commission is 20%; this is negotiable with arts organizations.
Artist call for fall 2017
We will announce our call for artists later this summer. Some of the upcoming themes include Welcome, Courage and Abundance.
Interested in helping?
Are you interested in helping out at ARTspeaks? Are you unable to submit work but want to be part of an exciting process? We need you! We need assistance with labeling artwork, procuring artists statements, hanging artwork and receiving artwork on the first Thursday of the month, 6-9 p.m. Contact Deb Kennedy if you are interested.
Summer 2017 installation
Here is a preview of some of the pieces in our summer exhibition.