ARTspeaks is a new space and we will need to work through some issues this year. We’d appreciate your patience, and especially your assistance to help fulfill the ARTspeaks mission.
ARTspeaks is possible only if we have volunteer support. We are looking for:
- Each artist to volunteer once for every two times you show. This includes helping with Thursday night intake – sorting and hanging on Friday and Saturday, preparing and posting tags and artist statements and preparing the price lists. These are each 2-3 hours.
- Artists and others who can help us fulfill our mission. This includes determining policies, working with social service agencies, planning events, creating art activities for all ages.
To submit artwork
- Fill out the form at the bottom of this page. This information allows us to create wall labels, a price list and artist statements efficiently. The submission form ensures we will have space for at least one of your works. We will accept work without a submission form only as room permits.
Artwork should be ready for display:
- Framed with hanging wire on back.
- We can exhibit some 3D work. Current size limit is 18x18x18 in., and 40 lbs.
- Labeled on the back with artist’s name, phone number, title, medium, price and monthly theme.
- The ARTspeaks program encourages art and artists with a message. We strongly encourage a short statement connecting your piece to the monthly theme. Suggested length – three sentences or 60 words or fewer.
Intake and pickup
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fairfax Sanctuary Building: 2709 Hunter Mill Rd., Oakton VA. This is the large main building at the top of the hill, to the right as you come from the parking lot.
- Normal drop-off and pickup is the first Thursday of the month 6-9 p.m.
- Artwork may not be removed until close of show for any reason other than a sale.
- All work must be original to the artist and signed.
- Our space is open to all ages. ARTspeaks cannot accept work with nudity or explicit violence and reserves the right to determine what is appropriate for our space.
- Artists may submit two works (no pre-registration required). Our goal is to hang all submissions if possible, and at least one from every artist. If we cannot hang your piece, you will be notified Friday and must pick it up at the Fri./Sat. pickup times (TBD) or Sunday, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Prices will not be listed on artwork tags. We will provide a separate price list available at the door. We do NOT require all work to be available for sale.
- Frame height and width max is 64 inches. Examples: 16×20, 24×30, 28×36. This requirement may change to include larger works. Max weight is 40 lbs.
- ARTspeaks artist commission is 20%. If the artist is part of a local artist group that charges a commission, we will negotiate with that group to limit the artist’s commission to 20%.
- Artist Information: The artist is responsible for providing their contact information to ARTspeaks – name, address, phone, email.
- Sales are between the artist and the buyer. ARTspeaks will provide artist contact information to a buyer. The artist is responsible for collecting the price and sales tax for a piece.
ARTspeaks art submission form
Once you have filled out this form, please send a photo of the piece your are submitting to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the name of the artwork.