UUCF’s Pastoral Care Team has compiled these resources related to grief, depression and suicide prevention. Please share additional resources with Lay Minister for Caring and Wellness Linda Clark.
- PRS CrisisLink: a Northern Virginia hotline bringing immediate help, hope and healing to empower individuals facing serious life challenges, suicidal thoughts, emotional or situational problems. Call 24 hours a day: 703-527-4077.
- CrisisLink Regional Textline: 703-940-0888
- National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Hotline: 1-800-950-6264
Resources for people dealing with grief
- Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board (CSB) – Services for mental health, substance use disorders and developmental disabilities.
- Haven of Northern Virginia, Inc. – Grief counseling, support groups and resources. 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale, VA 22003; 703-941-7000.
- Life with Cancer – For counseling and education, programs, support groups and resources related to cancer. 8411 Pennell St., Fairfax, VA 22031; 703-206-5433.
- Capital Caring Grief Support Services – Offers workshops, support groups and individual support.
- Wendt Center for Loss and Healing – Groups and individual therapy for all ages on grief, loss and trauma; two offices in Washington, DC.; fees for services.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) – Organization has a Survivor Outreach Program, which connects those who have lost a loved one to suicide with trained volunteers who are also suicide loss survivors. Although they don’t have a team of volunteers in NOVA, they can connect someone with a volunteer out of the area for a phone call or video chat.
- Sibling Survivors of Suicide Loss – Website devoted to supporting siblings who have lost a sibling to suicide.
- GRASP (Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing) – Provides sources of help, compassion and understanding for families or individuals who have had a loved one die due to substance abuse or addiction. Local chapter in Chantilly with monthly family support group meetings. Contact Lori Feldhausen, 540-424-4270.
- Compassionate Friends – Support groups, online support and private Facebook groups around the loss of a child. Local group in Fairfax.
- Life After Miscarriage, Perinatal Loss and Stillbirth – Provides support to local families grieving the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth, infant loss and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- My Grief Angels – A directory of resources for grief and loss categorized by type of loss.
- AARP – Grief and loss resources and support after the death of someone for whom you were a caregiver.
Substance abuse/addiction resources
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) helpline – Free, confidential, 24/7, treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance-use disorders.
- Division on Addictions – Free service to assist users in connecting with drug rehab treatment facilities.
- Rehab-centers.org – Find addiction treatment centers in your area.
Recommended readings and resources
- Tips for Families Experiencing Traumatic Death
- American Association of Suicidology
- Survivors of Suicide Factsheet
- Surviving a Sudden Death
- Suicide Loss Support Groups and Resources
- How to Say I’m Sorry
- Survivors of Suicide Handbook, on the website of the American Association of Suicidology
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) offers many educational and support resources. UUCF hosts a NAMI family support meeting on the first Thursday of each month, 7:30-9 p.m.
- The UU Trauma Response Ministry also offers this general resource page with links and readings.
- Additionally, we have a list of books about death for children and youth.