Updated May 3, 2023
What is the Article II issue about?
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), of which UUCF is a member, is in the process of updating Article II of the UUA bylaws, which includes the UU Seven Principles. Since the UUA was founded, Article II has changed numerous times (e.g., the removal of sexist language in the 1960s).
When did these current revisions start?
The UUA Article II Study Commission convened its work in the fall of 2020. Over the last 2+ years there have been numerous focus group sessions with different constituencies. UUCF has presented several opportunities to give input and will continue to do so.
Is this related to the 8th Principle?
The 8th Principle – which UUCF passed in 2021, along with hundreds of other UUA congregations – helped to inform this process. If you read the new proposed Article II values, you will see the 8th Principle embedded within the new wording.
What’s happening now?
After many drafts, the UUA Board has just released the version that will be voted on at this year’s UUA General Assembly (GA) in Pittsburgh, Jun. 21-25. Forums are being held at the regional level to receive feedback to the most recent version. As delegates propose amendments at GA, additional changes are expected.
Is this year’s vote at GA the final decision on Article II?
No. The final version voted on at GA 2023 will then have a full year before a final vote at GA 2024.
- UUA’s Article II Study Commission info, article which includes the Article II timeline, & signups for 3 workshops in May 2023
- Rev. Helen Cohen’s sermon (Article II sections at at 14:28, 23:35, and 42:15)
- Comparison of Proposed and Current Article II – Prepared by UUCF’s Board of Directors
- Sermon by Rev. Dr. Cynthia L. Landrum “Principles and Values” from Jan. 29, 2023. Rev. Dr. Cynthia Landrum is the minister of the First Parish Church of Stow and Acton (Article II sections at 17:30 and 31:30).
- Pros and Cons to the Proposed Article II Changes by Tim Bartik
- Faith in UUs by Rev. Jerry Mikula Kerr
- Slides comparing the 7 Principles with the Values and Covenant statements in the Article II proposal. Created by Rev. Cindy Landrum
Article II Commission Updates & Meetings
By Susan Bennett, President, UUCF Board of Directors Did you know there is a proposal to update our current Unitarian Universalist Principles with new Values in the bylaws of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA)? If not, maybe it’s time to turn your thoughtful reflection to this issue. I encourage you to read the entire Report […]