2017 Annual Meeting Highlights
The 2017 UUCF Annual Meeting was held on Jun. 4 (Click here for meeting minutes). Outgoing Board President Karen Wolf presided over the meeting. Incoming President Paul Atelsek thanked Karen for strong leadership over the past year. Members approved the following:
- A Bylaws change that introduces a new, additional Endowment Fund that could generate funds for the UUCF Operating Budget. Read more about the fund in this packet.
- The 2017-18 Operating Budget.
Members elected the following new leaders:
- Kristin Keen, Ashley Rothermel and Milver Valenzuela will serve 3-year terms on the Board of Directors.
- Mary Odell Butler and Jeff Snyder will serve 1-year terms on the Board of Directors.
- Randy Adams and Leslie Beard will serve 3-year terms on the Endowment Fund Committee.
- Sharon Johnson, John Kun and Dennis Zimmerman were elected to serve 2-year terms on the Nominating Committee. The Board of Directors will select one additional member of the Nominating Committee to serve a 1-year term.
UUCF’s ministers and lay leaders presented congregational awards to the following members:
Founders Award to Craig and Susan Bennett, for their ongoing and sustained dedication to our community in the spirit of UUCF’s founders. The award reads: “For your longtime dedication to UUCF’s health and vitality. Together and as individuals you have brought vision and unwavering intention to your work as leaders of the congregation. You focus not only on UUCF’s growth and vitality, but also on the future of Unitarian Universalism. For all that you have done – and will continue to do – we are deeply grateful.”
Bruce H. Birnbaum Award to Deborah Kennedy for her volunteer service above and beyond the call of duty. The award reads: “For more than 20 years, UUCF and its Worship and Arts programs have benefited from Deborah Kennedy’s love and vision. Deborah was an early Lay Minister for Worship and Arts, sang in the Chorale and creates art herself. She also offered leadership to the Worship, Pastoral Care and FUUSE programs. Last year, Deborah’s vision and hard work helped launch UUCF’s new community art space, ARTspeaks. She continues to be a driving force for that program’s success.”
Howard and Agnes Sollenberger Award to Joanna Walker in recognition of distinguished service in the promotion of social justice in the world. The award reads: “For decades Joanna has been an ardent advocate for social justice. She has served on the UUCF Social Justice Council and coordinated the Social Justice Yard Sale for many years. She is a tireless advocate for those living with mental illness, including leadership roles in the Northern Virginia chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), where she serves on the board of directors.”
Bill Welch Religious Exploration Award to Kurt Jensen in recognition of sustained service and dedication to Religious Exploration for the children and youth of our community of faith. The award reads: “Kurt truly cares about UUCF youth. Every week for many years he has shared his enthusiasm and kept the students engaged and motivated. He also does a great job of keeping parents informed about what’s going on in class.”