Meets first Wednesdays, 7:30-9 p.m., Social Hall. Occasional meetings via conference call only to 1-563-999-2090, access code 308302#. Contact Eric Goplerud for information or to be added to the CAG email list.
UUCF’s Climate Action Group (CAG) formed in 2013 by members concerned about the alarming growth of greenhouse gases (GHGs) in the atmosphere – the consequences of global warming, climate change and related climate justices issues. CAG advocates for ways to respond to the human-caused climate crisis challenging all life forms on Earth. CAG supports climate justice because low-income and indigenous human populations are most vulnerable to climate change consequences. Public health issues such as asthma are increasing. For example, Richmond, VA, is known as the U.S. asthma capital. Climate changes is already increasing migrant populations – creating climate refugees – thus putting the security of nations at risk. CAG began programs to educate UUCF members and the larger community about global warming consequences and to advocate for GHG emission reduction by increased energy efficiencies and sustainable renewable energies.
Viewing climate change as a moral issue, CAG authored the UUCF Congregational Resolution on Climate Change, which UUCF members overwhelmingly approved in 2014. Grounded in the UU Seventh Principle, it guides CAG and UUCF in its responses to climate change and climate-justice related issues.
CAG’s 2016 report to the UUCF Social Justice Council details recent CAG actions. After the resolution was approved the original Climate Action Group became Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions (FACS). The name Climate Action Group was re-established in the summer of 2016 when the FACS group became an independent, interdenominational 501c3 organization and no longer was directly affiliated with UUCF. The 2015 Paris Climate Conference resulted in an agreement that has been ratified by more than 110 countries. This agreement calls for reducing GHG emissions 50% by 2030 and to be carbon neutral by 2050. In late 2015, CAG launched the UUCF Paris Pledge Initiative, which is UUCF’s way of supporting the Paris Climate Agreement within our congregation.
Climate Action Group initiatives and links
- Paris Pledge Initiative
- Paris Pledge Tool Kit for Congregations
- Carbon Footprint Game
- UUCF Resolution on Climate Change
- Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions
Climate Action Group meeting minutes and reports
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 100417
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 050317
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 040517
- 2016 Report to the UUCF Social Justice Council
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 031517
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 030117
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 021517
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 020117
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 011817
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 010417
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 122116
- UUCF Climate Action Group minutes 120716